Hivos Southeast Asia seeks qualified candidates for the position of In-Country Researcher for the Scoping Study “Creating Spaces for Engagement between Citizens and the State” (Consultancy based).
Hivos with the support of Robert Bosch Stiftung will develop a Scoping Study to improve understanding of the nature of citizen participation in public service delivery in Southeast Asia. Through this study, we hope to find solution in increasing the public’s access to responsive and accountable public service delivery by closing feedback loops that influence the government’s decision making processes. It will help the government, civil society and other relevant actors in addressing the gap between citizens and the state in term of communication in the way governments understand and respond to the demands of their people. The study will:
- Identify and map institutions and individuals working to promote citizen engagement, government response, research and technology in the country
- Analyze the role of technology, social mobilization and enabling conditions for meaningful public engagement
The study will be implemented in Indonesia, the Philippines, and Myanmar to get a better picture on countries that experiences social accountability in a democratic setting and on a country that is relatively new for public participation. However, all share characteristics as a growing market and industry that makes them comparable in term of demand for better governance and responsive public services.
For this purpose, we are seeking strong candidates for In-Country Researcher from Myanmar to conduct desk study, data gathering, and data analysis in their respective country. When necessary, the In-Country Researcher will also support other relevant workshop and event related to the research.
In-Country Researcher will report to Lead Researcher. S/he will closely work with Lead Researcher and Project Officer Freedom and Accountability Program Hivos Hub SEA., and In-Country Reviewer.
Scope of Work
- Develop in-country research work plan
- Conduct desk and field study about citizen participation and public service delivery
- Conduct analysis for the data obtained throughout the desk and field study process
- Conduct validation workshop to improve data gathering and validate field study findings in their respective country
- Report writing for desk and field study process and result
- Conduct dissemination of research report with targeted CSOs and Journalists in their respective country
- Result of desk study
- List of stakeholders to be key informant for the study
- Result of field data gathering
- Result of Validation Workshop
- Country Research report
- Presentation to targeted local stakeholders
The consultancy assignment will start in August 2019 to September 2019, with total 20 working days.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
We are seeking an Individual with the following qualities:
- Has strong qualitative research skills, familiar with ecosystem mapping is an advantage
- Has a working knowledge of social accountability, stakeholder engagement, and public service delivery with interest on deepening public/academic discourse on public participation
- Has strong knowledge about local governance and politics context, network with Civil Society Organization, and programs related to public participation
- A degree in any of the following disciplines: Public Policy, Community Development, Public Administration, or any relevant fields. Master degree or higher is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills and ability
- Excellent English writing skills
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV, a cover letter (stating your salary history) and relevant writings/publication to email@example.com and cc to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11 August 2019.
Please specify the position name you are applying for In-Country Researcher Myanmar in the ‘subject’ line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://www.hivos.org/